Forum Header Re-arrange

Post questions, comments, and suggestions about Runouw.com here.

Re: Forum Header Re-arrange

Postby Doram » March 2nd, 2016, 6:11 pm

poll wrote:What do you want on the NON-ANIMATED part of the header? (Part 1) (No means not on header at all)
Poll ended at February 23rd, 2016, 5:54 pm

OptionVotesPercent
Music - Yes2%
Music - No24%
Cookie Crumb Trail ("Board index ‹ Main ‹ Site Discussion") - Yes22%
Cookie Crumb Trail - No2%
Ego Search ("View Your Posts") - Yes15%
Ego Search - No10%
Medals - Yes17%
Medals - No8%
Total votes : 59

Current: The other part of the header Part 2 of 2

This will wrap up giving the NOTs a chance to be on the non-animated part of the header.

Please note that a no vote at this point means that the item doesn't appear on the header at all.

Things to discuss now, aside from the current poll, is HOW you want it arranged. We could have it similar to what it is now with a 50/50, or possible a 75/25 horizontal split, or we could make the animated part wide, and have non-animated stuff below, or any of a number of possibilities.

Make your suggestions now, and they will go into the next poll after this one.

Progress:

Figure out what goes on the animated header: 3/3 polls
Figure out what goes on the other part of the header: 2/2 polls :larrow:
Figure out how to arrange the two parts of the header: 0/1? polls
Figure out if there is any issues with graphics: 0/1 polls
Figure out any extra options: 0/1 polls
Make the headers: 0/2 parts
Install the headers: 0/1 process
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Thumbs up x1

Postby Venexis » March 2nd, 2016, 7:50 pm

Doram wrote:Make your suggestions now, and they will go into the next poll after this one.

I've already went over my vision in greater detail toward the beginning of the topic but for the sake of clarity:

• Three main header blocks- the animated block on the left, the non-animated block on the right, and a centered block underneath for special cases.
    • Animated portion should be tileable and extend infinitely with browser width, keeping all tab links within centered.
      • All links here should be "visual". Not overly wordy, clickable images when applicable, that sort of thing. This is an eye-catcher, not an information post, and if I have to go along with the amount of stuff the rest of you apparently want to shove in there, it should at least not be a ♥♥♥♥ of things all over the place. We already have one of those.*
      • If I had my way, this would include tabs for Home (basically what the News tab is now), Games, Forums, and About. Nothing else.
    • Non-animated portion should ideally be a fixed size (300 pixels wide?) no matter what.
      • All the links it includes would be concise- if they cannot be shortened to a word or two at most (such as the search bar), they're probably better suited to the centered block below.
      • This should have one link per line, as opposed to the current "everything on one line" approach. (I understand half of it is supposed to be right aligned and half left aligned, but this is an awful design choice.*)
      • If I had my way, this is where the PMs, UCP, Chat, Wiki, FAQ, Medals, and Logout buttons would go. Probably in that order, centered, one per line.
    • Centered block should contain only things that are not able to fit into one of the above "main" header blocks.
      • This is where I'd put the search bar, advanced search, cookie crumbs... things that would become confusing or meaningless if they were to be shortened or forced to fit in another block.
      • If I had my way, this is where the search bar, advanced search, search modes (egosearch and the four other variations), cookie crumb trail, MCP, and perhaps even the site time/visit information would go.

Layout Example:
Ideally both the red animated block and the green non-animated block would be the same vertical length.

*Please see http://i.imgur.com/sClqTO1.png and then accept that the points presented here are unarguable fact.
Spoiler: show
10/10, thanks FrozenFire :3

Or add me, at Venexis#9902.
Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Location: Headquarters of EVIL! And definitely NOT my garage... Nope...

Thumbs Up given: 89 times
Thumbs Up received: 211 times

Postby Supershroom » March 4th, 2016, 8:37 am

Just asking since it looks like "Members" will be deselected, there will still be any quick link to the memberlist somewhere, e.g. at the bottom next to the Team link?

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Doram » March 4th, 2016, 8:49 am

That is an EXCELLENT idea, Shroom. Duly noted.
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Postby Venexis » March 4th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Member list is unsearchable, that might be why it's getting so many no votes. You can sort by letter but way back in the good ol' days before the spambot cleanup that was still a metric buttload of pages per letter. If we're going to keep it, can we give it a function that lets you search users instead of just praying you blindly stumble across the correct one out of 92 (and counting) pages?

Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Postby Supershroom » March 4th, 2016, 12:22 pm

thx Doram <3

"Find a member" is still incorporated, and without the spambots the letter search is also very efficient.

Thank you, FF.

1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

Other Important Links:
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner

Postby Venexis » March 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Where is the Find a Member? If it's superior then why not just replace the member list with that?

But yeah. It's efficient now. Just like it was when the forums were brand new, and then 60000 spambot accounts happened.

Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Postby Oranjui » March 4th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Oranjui
Minister of Oerhaos

Runolympics 2015 MVP

Thumbs Up given: 388 times
Thumbs Up received: 188 times

Postby Venexis » March 4th, 2016, 5:00 pm

yeeaaaaaaah that would benefit from being larger and more useful looking

Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Postby Supershroom » March 14th, 2016, 10:46 am

Well, we've stopped now at "Figure out how to arrange the two parts of the header", and there has not been any input other than Ven's ...

... and I've also looked over all of the results. Since we're gonna have Chat, Wiki, FAQ, UCP and PM notification on the animated header, we should use the full horizontal space, like in Doram's pic from here.

The non-animated header should be below, with all search stuff in one line, as Ven said. Cookie Crumb Trail is best to have above the title of a forum / topic (in the Board Index itself we don't need it obviously).

Logout is kinda dumb. I never use it, and there's a logout button at the very bottom or on the News / Portal / About pages.

Medals is kinda odd to sort in under these circumstances, too bad that it was deselected from the animated part along with Wiki and FAQ. Maybe we even replace it entirely with an announcement topic in Welcome or Site Discussion or wherever.

Thank you, FF.

The WITBLO11 Tribute

Other Important Links:
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Site Discussion