4th Last Legacy Level Designer Contest Poll

Post questions, comments, and suggestions about Runouw.com here.

Are you interested in having a 4th Last Legacy Level Designing Contest?

Yes. I will do everything I can to submit an entry. (Pick this option only if you are more than 75% sure you can deliver.)
19%
Maybe. I'm interested, but might not be able to commit. (Pick this option if you're less than 75% you can deliver, if you would like to see the contest go ahead but won't be able to enter, etc...)
45%
No. I will not be participating. (Pick this option if you'll be busy, cannot manage time, hate Last Legacy, etc...)
35%

Total votes : 31

4th Last Legacy Level Designer Contest Poll

Postby Venexis » December 21st, 2015, 8:00 pm

/!\ UPDATE /!\
Due to significant interest, the contest is going to be hosted by our very own and is planned to start on the 8th of January. More details can be found here.

You read that right. There's been substantial demand for another Last Legacy contest, so depending how things go, we might just have one.

Wait a minute, you said "might". Why make the topic if there's a chance if might not happen?

Good question, audience member. First off, that's correct, we "might". What's happened lately is that a lot of people say they intend to enter LDCs, but then end up running out of time, or don't like the theme, or just forget about it. This wouldn't normally be a bad thing- life happens! But Last Legacy contests have traditionally not been as popular as Super Mario 63 contests, generally seeing only a handful of serious competitors. This is a lot of wasted time and effort on the part of contest hosts (setting aside a month or more of their time to answer questions, defuse arguments, and wrap the event up), the judges (who need to beat and then review every submission), other participants (it's not really a competition with only 3 other entrants, is it?) and even the larger community (as we generally try to avoid hosting more than one event at a time). That's why we've decided on a poll, to evaluate community interest and decide if it's something we all want to invest in before even deciding on a date or theme.

Alright, how does the poll work, then?

Glad you asked! This is a new way to judge interest, so this will probably set our benchmark for future interest polls. How it works is, you pick one of the three options. Yes, you really really want to enter; Maybe, it'd be something nice to see even if you can't participate; or No, we should not have a contest right now. It's important to answer honestly, because this is something like a contract- if you pick Yes, you're expected to see it through all the way to the end unless something really serious like a family emergency or surprise illness comes up. When the poll concludes, we'll see how many votes there are for each answer and evaluate whether it's worth actually hosting the contest. More votes for Yes means it is much more likely to happen, whereas more votes for No means it may not. A vote for Maybe will count toward No, although at a much lesser weight (1 Maybe might be equivalent to 1/3 or 1/2 of a No vote, for instance).

I'd like to reiterate that we are looking for honest answers. If we get a lot of Yes votes and almost nobody submits a level, we aren't going to be super keen to try another contest in a hurry. It's not the end of the world if No wins- if there's a lot of Yes votes, chances are we'll have the contest anyway, and if for some reason nobody can commit to a contest, it's no big deal- we'll just have another poll in a month or so.

You mentioned things like the theme and date aren't even decided yet! How do you expect us to vote honestly, when you can't even tell us when it will take place?

That's an excellent question. Obviously, releasing the theme weeks before the contest might start might give sneaky designers an advantage over the rest of the competition, so for security reasons we won't be releasing all that information at once. Instead, every so often, we'll leave updates here, so you can find out who the host would be, when it can be expected to start, and so on. The poll currently has no deadline (we'll let you know here well in advance if that changes, though) and you can change your vote as many times as you want, so even if you voted Maybe because you're busy right now, you can change your answer when we let everyone know that it won't start for a couple weeks yet. The theme will probably be the last thing to go public 3-4 days before the contest is due to start.

Okay. Is there anything else we should be aware of?

Just a couple things- first, I'd like to reiterate honest answers in the poll. We understand that life happens and you may need to drop out, but if half the people who said they were going to enter suddenly don't because they left things to the last minute, it's going to have consequences in the future. Speaking of consequences, this whole poll deal is pretty new and a major change to how contests have typically been run around here. If it goes well and turns out to be an accurate prediction of community interest, we might continue using it. If everyone hates it, let us know why and we'll see what we can do.

We think Last Legacy is a really nifty game with a lot of potential, and it's disheartening to see so few people take contests seriously. We understand that it's still a game in development, subject to change, and that this can be off putting when you decide to put it to work- what if all your beautiful levels are broken in the next update? What if the next update never comes? We don't have the answers to those questions, but a strong turnout for this contest would go a long way toward attracting new users to the game, and keep it in the spotlight until Runouw goes public with it.

Just one last question- if this is a Last Legacy LDC, why is the topic here and not on the LL forums?

The Last Legacy forums have been dormant for an extended period as of the time this was posted. We've decided that it's more accessible here on Runouw.com due to our larger and more active userbase, but will also be creating a topic over on the LL side of things for anyone there who isn't also registered here. If you'd like to advertise the contest over there (or anywhere else for that matter) feel free. A lot of participants makes it a better experience for everyone.
Last edited by Venexis on January 2nd, 2016, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler: show
10/10, thanks FrozenFire :3

Or add me, at Venexis#9902.
Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Location: Headquarters of EVIL! And definitely NOT my garage... Nope...

Thumbs Up given: 89 times
Thumbs Up received: 211 times

Re: 4th Last Legacy Level Designer Contest Poll

Postby Megar » December 22nd, 2015, 2:22 am

this is what i've been waiting for
Megar
Follower of Razputin

Error contacting Twitter

Runolympics 2015 Winners

Thumbs Up given: 42 times
Thumbs Up received: 147 times

Postby Supershroom » December 22nd, 2015, 4:47 am

Well, you all know that I'm willing to participate in all stuff so I've voted Yes. I just mainly hope that we can have 6+ contest events again like this year.

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Doram » December 22nd, 2015, 11:28 am

I adore LL, and will try my hardest to enter every LL LDC that I can.
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Postby Joshio01 » December 23rd, 2015, 3:01 am

I too love LL, however I do often find that the time limit is very, well, limiting. If we get 4 weeks + and we get a non-impossible theme then I'm in.
Eyyy look at my new avatar. It even has terrible image quality!
Joshio01
Post FLUDDer

Thumbs Up given: 18 times
Thumbs Up received: 16 times

Postby Niicola » December 23rd, 2015, 4:23 am

Niicola, now with a capital N
Niicola
Post FLUDDer

Level Creator

Thumbs Up given: 2 times
Thumbs Up received: 3 times

Postby Karyete » December 23rd, 2015, 11:32 am

So if I'm reading that right, there are two No options and one Yes option.

Basically, LL contests aren't gonna happen.
Major credit goes to l.m for this!

Museum of Monsters

Most recent SM63 / LL level: Flickering Forest
Karyete

LL Level Designer Contest Winner
LL LDC #4: Ruins/Temple

Thumbs Up given: 273 times
Thumbs Up received: 148 times

Postby Venexis » December 23rd, 2015, 12:13 pm

What's more important is that there's 6 Yes votes. If all those people actually do submit something, it'll pretty much be our highest turnout for an LL LDC ever. And then if some of those 11 Maybes might end up submitting something too, meaning it'll definitely be the most popular one to date.

It's not so much about which option wins, it's more about seeing the overall picture the poll displays. If there's 13 Yes votes and 100 No votes, it would be worth hosting for those 13 people... but it would also lead us to wonder if having it some other time would change some of those No votes.
Spoiler: show
10/10, thanks FrozenFire :3

Or add me, at Venexis#9902.
Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Location: Headquarters of EVIL! And definitely NOT my garage... Nope...

Thumbs Up given: 89 times
Thumbs Up received: 211 times

Postby Harmless » December 23rd, 2015, 4:24 pm

Now that I have winter break I could see about dedicating some time to LL. :D
Expect something cool here soon!

~ Tesla Bromonovich
Harmless
Is it lunch time yet?

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning Master of a Hidden Talent in the RV Summer 2017

Thumbs Up given: 271 times
Thumbs Up received: 240 times

Postby Doram » December 23rd, 2015, 4:51 pm

I actually like the idea of LL duels, and I'm surprised that we haven't been doing that already. Though, I'm all for a full LDC too. I think the duels will also help break the ice for some of the people out there that are still intimidated by it.
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Next

Return to Site Discussion