Subforum Reorganization: Episode II

Post questions, comments, and suggestions about Runouw.com here.

Re: Subforum Reorganization: Episode II

Thumbs up x1

Postby MessengerOfDreams » January 10th, 2016, 1:34 pm

If you're implying deleting level topics because a series is unfinished, frankly I'm never okay with deleting levels in that manner. It's like burning books.

My Most Recent Works: show
I switch my signature a lot. If you wanna see some of my past ones, here you go.
Silent Conversations and a Crow's Final Song!
My latest story, and one of my personal favorites. A girl bound in silence finds the words to say to her prospective girlfriend as they visit her religious father in a dusty town on the edge of Kansas, where the crows' migration south brings forth anchored memories, the path to resolution, and a new start.

Form (25quared)
This might be like nothing you've seen before.
Updated Works! Some of my past best and current stuff: show
Writing Works!
Fanfic: Shut Up and Dance
why do I write so much about dancing you don't dance you've never danced in your entire life
lying little ♥♥♥♥ with your ♥♥♥♥ story ♥♥♥♥ you
also Diddy/Lucina <3

Fanfic: Worth a Thousand Words
Because the world needed a Samus/Dedede story
Fanfic: Ecstatic Silence
Just wanted to write and ♥♥♥♥ like this happens, you'd think I'd know better.
Fanfic: Far From the Edge
It's a dance that's been a long time coming for a brand new man and an unchanging woman, but once one takes the plunge there's no falling back up.
Original: Jealous Ghosts of the Mississippi
The story of Rachel meeting Amber after a lifetime of silence and being shunned
Original: Your Hand in Mine
One of my most personal stories about a dangerous romance. Now to be published in a college lit journal!
-------------------------
Recent LDC Work:
Level Series: Leaves From The Vine (ft Star King)
For the 29th LDC, a theme of grassland taken through the growth of our designing society. Won the 29th LDC!
--
Levels at Large:
Level Topic: Collection of MoD's Levels!
If you've ever wanted to see any level I made worth a damn, go here! From the quiet 14th LDC entrant Finis to the megasmash level series Dark, you can find links here!
"You were always a revolutionary, now there's just less of a chance of you crying in the corner." ~Ridder
MessengerOfDreams

Error contacting Twitter

Winter
2016 Story Contest

Thumbs Up given: 519 times
Thumbs Up received: 707 times

Postby NanTheDark » January 10th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I've been in this forum for five years.

I still have no freaking idea of what Forum 23 is.
Some day I'll fix my sig.

Old Sig Stuff: show

Universal Dueling ArenaInto The ShadowsMy SM63 Levels

Made by FrozenFire/lemontea/whatever. Thanks, FF!

ImageImageImageImageImage
????
NanTheDark
As it breaks, it becomes stronger

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning Best Normal Member in the RV Summer 2017

Thumbs Up given: 191 times
Thumbs Up received: 217 times

Postby Oranjui » January 10th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Idk why it's still called Forum 23 because it's a really dumb name but it's literally just the staff forum. Its forum ID is 23.

Also, I meant to say that the original levels would be sent to the author via PM if we went through with that, but I don't think it's very likely anyway. I'm fine with having locked topics and unfinished series.
Oranjui
Minister of Oerhaos

Runolympics 2015 MVP

Thumbs Up given: 388 times
Thumbs Up received: 188 times

Thumbs up x1

Postby Venexis » January 10th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Solution: if there are only one or two levels in a series that has not been touched in years, perhaps create/move to that user's Level Collections topic instead... since that's sortof where it's supposed to go if there's less than 3 entries in the series anyway. Unfinished series can still be good and therefore worth preserving, though. And who knows, maybe getting this all organized in a way that's appealing and logical will bring people back to finish stuff like that.
Spoiler: show
10/10, thanks FrozenFire :3

Or add me, at Venexis#9902.
Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Location: Headquarters of EVIL! And definitely NOT my garage... Nope...

Thumbs Up given: 89 times
Thumbs Up received: 211 times

Postby Supershroom » January 11th, 2016, 6:43 am

Supershroom wrote:Depth of subforums tend to be overkill in the Graveyard. And since the Graveyard is also still important to many (numbers of Views are still increasing), it's no damage to put it on the Index, especially considering that we're saving much space on the index already.

There. And now how I imagine the cleanup of the level designer forums. It simply shall happen to clean these forums from noobish acts, and let the essential topics be undisturbed from them. There are so many level series topics where it would be the eigth Wonder of the World if the creator came back and PM'd missing levels. We don't have to wait on those, it's sometimes pretty obvious after a month already. And primarily I'm talking about graveyarding in favour of deleting. The deletage can actually happen to levels that wouldn't be approved on the portal anyway. If a person manages to PM the missing levels, the thing can still be de-graveyarded.

Here are examples of what should be taken away from the level designer forums (first four pages). With due respect to the authors, these are just trash more or less.

And here be examples from Level Series: (Page 1)

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Doram » January 11th, 2016, 1:39 pm

And, as I thought, there's still raging debate over this. Now we're having the debate. Good. Carry on.

EDIT: Had a thought: if we are combining all the LL generals into one, how do we differentiate between threads meant for one chapter or another (it DOES make a difference)? Are we going to enforce a naming rule (such as thread names must start with "Chapter X:"), and are we going to re-name old threads to fit the new rule (so as to eliminate confusion about what they were about)? Is it worth making some sub-forums to keep these separate if not?
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Postby l.m » January 11th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Leave people with the incomplete series alone

Because if they still exist then it might mean there's a chance of the creator updating it sometime, even if it's a really slight chance

Also we don't delete any incomplete series in the vault of any LDC, do we?
l.m
all light absorbed

Razzian Fighter

Thumbs Up given: 136 times
Thumbs Up received: 148 times

Postby Venexis » January 11th, 2016, 1:57 pm

I can't tell if Doram's post was edited after FF posted but to address the Chapter 1&2 thing... do you mean it does make a difference, or were you asking if it did? If it does make a difference, would it be possible to add a thing to the Level Portal submission form requiring you to check the game version used to create the level?

And again, Runouw, if you're reading this... it would be REALLY NICE to know what the hell you had wanted to do with all this before we just go ahead and do what we think is best, thanks
Spoiler: show
10/10, thanks FrozenFire :3

Or add me, at Venexis#9902.
Venexis
Prophet of Shadowsquid

Location: Headquarters of EVIL! And definitely NOT my garage... Nope...

Thumbs Up given: 89 times
Thumbs Up received: 211 times

Postby Doram » January 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Runouw had wanted to just have all the LL stuff be only there, and the SM63 stuff only here. He's said that. The entire point of making the new site was to make sure that LL didn't suffer if Nintendo got a hard-on for shutting down SM63 and made us shut this down completely.

EDIT: Also, I wasn't even getting into 1, 2, and 1+2. I was just dealing with the existing 1, and 2, but yes, the 1+2 makes it even MORE confusing for the noob that comes in trying to make sense of a forum full of threads. And, I was stating that it makes a difference, not asking if it did. Clearly id lists will only work for one version or another, for example.
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Postby Oranjui » January 11th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Could easily do a tagging system as was proposed for Story subforums.
[Ch1]
[Ch2]
[Remix]
[Ch3]

By the way I wrote a draft for story forum tagging rules, tell me how it sounds:

"This is the new tagging system for the Stories subforum. Please prefix your posts with one or more of these when creating a new thread.
Original[FF]Fanfiction
[FM]Forum-Related StoriesSelf-explanatory. Basically [FF] except for specifically within the realm of Runouw.com because that was really popular for a while.
[OC]OriginalFiction or nonfiction, anything original--that is, written (at least partially) by you, and doesn't fit into any other tags.
[SS]Short StoriesOriginal short stories or collections thereof.
[PO]PoetryPoetry collections and individual poems.
[OT]OtherFor serious RPGs that don't belong in Forum Games, choose-your-own-adventure stories, and generally things that don't fit into other tags but still count as stories.
Other[CH]ChallengesContests, constrained writings, writing prompts, and other things of that nature (never ending story, anyone?).
[MT]MetaFor all news, events, ideas, plans, questions, announcements, advice, and other discussion related to your writing, this subforum, or the world of writing in general. Also can be used to link to external work done by others that you want to discuss here.
You can combine tags if you want, but usually that's unnecessary because they're already implied--for example, you don't need to label something as [FF/FM], since forum-related already implies fanfiction, and you don't need [OC/SS], because short story already implies original. But if you have a collection of short stories and poetry that you want to post, tag it [SS/PO]. Or if you're posting a poetry challenge, you can tag it as [CH/PO]. But I mean, we're not gonna be policing this stuff or anything, so you can do whatever you want with it; just use common sense and don't go overboard with it."
Oranjui
Minister of Oerhaos

Runolympics 2015 MVP

Thumbs Up given: 388 times
Thumbs Up received: 188 times

PreviousNext

Return to Site Discussion