Suggestions for a proper Winter and Halloween style set.

Post questions, comments, and suggestions about Runouw.com here.

Suggestions for a proper Winter and Halloween style set.

Postby Doram » August 22nd, 2016, 2:41 pm

Yeah. I'm back in the FTP game, and I am ready and rerring to get some serious work done. On the agenda for this year was FINALLY fixing the Winter and Halloween style sets so that they 1) work with every other part of the forum, and 2) actually look good.

SO! Let's get this going with some suggestions. What would you like to see in either of them? Colors? Themes? Special features?

I may turn this into some polls later, but let's see what you guys have first... GO!
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method is love.
More words from a wise man on activism, terrorism, violence, and peace
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie
l.m: "For fixing the stuff I break, and for being the best Forum Dad. XOXO <3"

Thumbs Up given: 153 times
Thumbs Up received: 471 times

Re: Suggestions for a proper Winter and Halloween style set.

Postby Supershroom » August 23rd, 2016, 12:37 am

I'm perfectly fine with the usual Halloween theme and with the Winter theme we had in 2014.

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Doram » August 23rd, 2016, 8:16 am

Yes, well, the Halloween theme is still working, but the Winter one is broken. That's why I did something half-finished last year.
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote:Man must evolve, for all human conflict, a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation.
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie

Postby Harmless » August 27th, 2016, 1:13 pm

more Halloween LDC's

Really, all the halloween stuff last year was pretty cool. Though I wouldn't mind secretly swapping up forums and giving cryptic messages here and there. :twisted:
Expect something cool here soon!

~ Tesla Bromonovich
Harmless
Is it lunch time yet?

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning Master of a Hidden Talent in the RV Summer 2017

Thumbs Up given: 271 times
Thumbs Up received: 240 times

Postby l.m » August 27th, 2016, 6:47 pm

I'd be up for a halloween puzzle this year too, but probably something not as complicated and complex as RO's. Although it was fun for some it really did break me and some others apart lmao. Storytelling Contest is a must (I look forward to completely obliterate MoD again), and I guess Avatar and Signature contests would be also cool but I would like if they were mashed together (you still get to vote for best avatar and signature individually, but then the scores of a member from both avi and sig contests would be merged together and the larger score wins a single medal.)

Also, about the LDCs, what about something that involves both Halloween and Winter? The theme could be something among the lines of Snowy/Gloomy, and the LDC could start on Halloween and finish on Christmas. Doesn't matter if it's SM63 or LL, though I'd be leaning more towards making an LL level just 'cause I'm excited, and it's mine, and I like it.

And make sure to add a little neat animated effect to the site or something to spice it up. I don't know, maybe witches flying around the screen on halloween, or a little snowflake trail that emerges from the mouse arrow whenever you move it, it doesn't matter.

That's what I have in mind for now.
l.m
all light absorbed

Razzian Fighter

Thumbs Up given: 136 times
Thumbs Up received: 148 times

Postby Kimonio » August 27th, 2016, 9:42 pm

From my experience, trails are a bit messy for some. Falling particles are a bit different, so if we did something like this using bullet characters and periods, it'd have a similar effect.

I'm going to play around with it in my free time later this week.

Kimonio
Honorary Member

Thumbs Up given: 62 times
Thumbs Up received: 135 times

Postby Doram » August 28th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I am working on a dozen other things. You get it written, and I will install it.
Doram
Global Moderator

Cookie

Thumbs up x1

Postby Oranjui » September 3rd, 2016, 7:21 pm

https://userstyles.org/styles/132009/ru ... -is-coming

I've been playing around with ideas with some help from Shad and FF. I also borrowed some of the structure of my code from one of Bog's other themes (and damn he's made a few if you didn't know) by the way, so thanks teehee
Oranjui
Minister of Oerhaos

Runolympics 2015 MVP

Thumbs Up given: 388 times
Thumbs Up received: 188 times

Postby Bogdan » September 4th, 2016, 1:33 am

Well I come here to make some advertising on my theme and suggest something simple and not overly complicated. A while ago, I made a theme Simply Blue which I'd use as a template or inspiration for my future projects. As you can see there are no backgrounds or transparency and it's simple and minimalistic.

For the Halloween theme I would personally encourage the use of classic colours, black and orange, and a minimalistic look, with maybe some specific elements, pumpkins, ghosts or bats and not overload them with other elements, probably we don't want it to look kitsch. I can make a concept if you wish (although I can't promise I'll finish it or at least deliver it completely polished).

For christmas, I don't know. Last winter I tried to make it actually christmas themed with green/red, red/gold colour combos but overall it didn't look good. I'd again suggest simple and easily-wintery themed so we can extend it up to New Year's eve.

While we are on the topic, can we consider changing the forum icons aswell? They look cheap.
Bogdan
The Legacy

Error contacting Twitter

Runouwian Fighter

Thumbs Up given: 39 times
Thumbs Up received: 98 times

Postby Vajrin » September 4th, 2016, 1:40 am

Oranjui wrote:https://userstyles.org/styles/132009/runouwinter-is-coming

I've been playing around with ideas with some help from Shad and FF. I also borrowed some of the structure of my code from one of Bog's other themes (and damn he's made a few if you didn't know) by the way, so thanks teehee

This is really nice. <3

Alternate signature: show

Credit to l.m

Read this!: show
All of my SM63 levels (except Moonlight Fireflies Forest, Frost Citadel and Silent Seabed) now use Jhynjhiruu and Forgotten's respawning.swf so make sure you are connected to the internet and use the full version!
Vajrin
Code: Awesome

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #31: Dream

Thumbs Up given: 73 times
Thumbs Up received: 20 times

Next

Return to Site Discussion