(c) MoD
Nwolf
Beware, fluffy

My Precious Memory

Thumbs Up given: 48 times
Thumbs Up received: 87 times

Re: 19th Level Designer Contest

Postby MessengerOfDreams » June 17th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Oh yeah, I had the recalc'd versions of those, after fixing up the other sections. I'll get it for you gents first thing tomorrow. That way no one gets confused.

My Most Recent Works: show
I switch my signature a lot. If you wanna see some of my past ones, here you go.
Silent Conversations and a Crow's Final Song!
My latest story, and one of my personal favorites. A girl bound in silence finds the words to say to her prospective girlfriend as they visit her religious father in a dusty town on the edge of Kansas, where the crows' migration south brings forth anchored memories, the path to resolution, and a new start.

Form (25quared)
This might be like nothing you've seen before.
Updated Works! Some of my past best and current stuff: show
Writing Works!
Fanfic: Shut Up and Dance
why do I write so much about dancing you don't dance you've never danced in your entire life
lying little ♥♥♥♥ with your ♥♥♥♥ story ♥♥♥♥ you
also Diddy/Lucina <3

Fanfic: Worth a Thousand Words
Because the world needed a Samus/Dedede story
Fanfic: Ecstatic Silence
Just wanted to write and ♥♥♥♥ like this happens, you'd think I'd know better.
Fanfic: Far From the Edge
It's a dance that's been a long time coming for a brand new man and an unchanging woman, but once one takes the plunge there's no falling back up.
Original: Jealous Ghosts of the Mississippi
The story of Rachel meeting Amber after a lifetime of silence and being shunned
Original: Your Hand in Mine
One of my most personal stories about a dangerous romance. Now to be published in a college lit journal!
-------------------------
Recent LDC Work:
Level Series: Leaves From The Vine (ft Star King)
For the 29th LDC, a theme of grassland taken through the growth of our designing society. Won the 29th LDC!
--
Levels at Large:
Level Topic: Collection of MoD's Levels!
If you've ever wanted to see any level I made worth a damn, go here! From the quiet 14th LDC entrant Finis to the megasmash level series Dark, you can find links here!
"You were always a revolutionary, now there's just less of a chance of you crying in the corner." ~Ridder
MessengerOfDreams

Error contacting Twitter

Winter
2016 Story Contest

Thumbs Up given: 519 times
Thumbs Up received: 707 times

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » June 17th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Love how we're just having a conversation in a locked topic.
"I treat everyone equally, depending on how much I like them." ~Me
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

I made this sig so credits to mee :amp smile:
~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #30: Finale/The Ultimate Battle

Thumbs Up given: 226 times
Thumbs Up received: 611 times

Postby MessengerOfDreams » June 18th, 2012, 9:48 am

We may have some minor miscalc's. Probably only to debate myself/SKjung's placings and to boost Amp up a bit farther.

Here's Nwolf's.

"Not as sexy as his format, but I did my best.": show
That level with ultra long name by KevinOC (serious)

Fun 6/10: Well, the text on the signs was quite entertaining, but the challenges in the level were missing.

Graphics 1/5: The graphics had lots of cut-off.

Other 3.5/5: +15% of Other score (approx 0.5): No lag or loading time

Overall 10.5/20: If you just would've made a REAL level with the same kind of text, it could have even placed higher.

Haunted Graveyard by SomeOne

Fun 7/10: Well, it was kinda interesting. The pipes were hidden pretty good, you could still see them, and the challenges weren't TOO hard. But towards the end they got more boring.

Graphics 3/5: The graphics were average. Inside the tombs, they weren't interesting because it all looked the same and the grass was flat. The decoration was pretty good though.

Other 3.5/5:
0.25: Spelling mistakes on signs
+0.25: Coin Shine Sprite looks pretty awesome, and Death kills Mario with a chair!
+15% of Other score (0.5): No lag or loading time

Overall 13.5/20: Overall, an average level.

Lethal by Star King

Fun 6/10: Of course, the only fun part of the level is the story because the levels are incomplete, but the story was awesome

Graphics 4.75/5: Both levels had great graphics and they made the prologue and epilogue look even more dramatic.

Other 1.25/5:
+0.25: Lava effects were cool.
0: Very small lag and very short loading time in the prologue, more lag and longer loading time in the epilogue.
-2: Incompleteness, sadly

Overall 12/20: The story was cool, but it would have been cooler if you finished your levels ;(

You Can't Escape Death by BrawlerEX

Part 1

Fun 8.75/10: This is one of the most confusing levels I have ever played and no, confusing doesn't mean bad. It was well balanced in difficulty, but it had its bad sides too. If you go from the "Underworld-sky" to the left (time switch blocks) and go back, you come out below the "Sky" and fall onto the boat. Also, it was impossible for me to get to the time switch underwater because I couldn't deactive the metal power-up at all.

Graphics 4.5/5: The graphics, the graphics... were damn good. You just could've used different filler tiles sometimes, but awesome floating stones with waterfall were awesome. You also could've added more decoration at some parts... the Piranha Plant was beast.

Other 3/5: -0.25: You could've told that the level was over after getting that "key"/invisibility star/climbing the piranha plant.
+0.25: Very short loading time, sometimes laggy.

Overall pt.1 16.25/20: The first part of the levels was damn good.

Part 2

Fun 9/10: The castle was one of the best castle levels I ever played. It was just awesome with the metal pillars, and the room with the metal block tunnel moving up and down reminded me of Super Mario World The multiple flipping platforms at one place was great too, even if used not too rare in other levels too. It was a bit sad though that you didn't use them more often, it could have boosted your score even higher, probably. In the metal star half, going in circles to activate different time switches and platforms to continue was just great too, but it was too similar to your last LDC entry. But... you always ruin your score at the very end. The boss was just so... meh. It wasn't good at all, just very hard and frustrating at the beginning.

Graphics 2.5/5: The graphics really weren't that good though, it was designed like a classical castle level... but it could have looked way better. More variation in tiles, more decoration, etc.

Other 3.5/5: +0.25: Great usage of time switches and power-ups.
+.25: Very very short loading time and not so much lag

Overall pt.2: 15/20: The 1st part was very fun, the graphics were relativly bad. The 2nd part (aka boss) was pretty boring and frustrating.

Overall 15.625/20: A very good mini level series, which uses many platforms and time switches in a clever way, with good graphics in the Underworld, but not-too-good graphics in the castle. There's still space for improvement and I know you can.

Memory Lane by MessengerOfDreams

Fun 8.5/10: In difficulty, this level was too easy - but ignoring that fact, the level was pretty good. The story was good and all that stuff. The special gameplay in this level was replaying old SM levels etc. and that was good too. Wing Cap passages were cool too.

Graphics 4.75/5: The graphics were good at many parts, but the cave was too unnatural at some parts (the roof)

Other 3.25/5: +0.5: Great story and Overall a very good idea
+0.25: Great recreation of the SM64 castle
-.5: Very very long loading time and lag in most parts (excluding 1 only)

Overall 16.5/20: A very good level with classical MoD graphics (and MoD loading time/lag ) which deserves getting a medal in this LDC!

Death and Life by skjung2034

Fun 7.75/10: The level was pretty hard. A bit too hard, especially that meteor part, but it was pretty fun. Nothing more to say here for me.

Graphics 4/5: The graphics were pretty good too, especially that bit with the Shine Sprites in the ground and the orb-thingies at the end.

Other 3.25/5: +0.25: Minor notes- Good but confusing story; CAVe and Good falling effect at the beginning of the level.
-0: Window maze was frustrating as hell after some time
0: Not too much lag and loading time that I would take away points, but too much that I wouldn't give points.

Overall 15/20: A good level, but with enough space for improvement.

Casualties of War by Harmless

Fun 7.5/10: The levels were both pretty good, especially the red coin searches, but it could've used more challenges. Also, look at Other.

Graphics 2.75/5: There was one major problem: The floor looked flat too often and there wasn't enough decoration in some parts, but the destroyed airship looked pretty cool. Some cut-off.

Other 3/5:
-0.25: I noticed, you like diving. Please, never add diving through small spaces with a sinking platform at the end. Thanks.
+0: Didn't know that trick with the diving.
-1: YOU KILLED LUIGI D:
+1: YOU KILLED LUIGI, ONE OF MY ARCHENEMIES IN SSBB
+0.25: Only a little bit lag and loading time. Very little bit.

Overall 13.25/20: The levels weren't that bad, but you should work on the Graphics and think of some new challenges.

An Act of Antichesm by ~MP3 Amplifier~

Fun 9.5/10: This level offered lots of different and cool platforming challenges. The boss was fun too, but the two stone blocks inthe fight could've turned a bit slower. The story in the level was great too! Overall, a very fun level.

Graphics 4.75/5: Part 1: Overall very good graphics; Part 2: the graphics of the level itself were pretty good again; the boss looked... crazy; cool mirroring in part 3
All the levels looked very good. The boss looked crazy, like he was supposed to do, and the mirroring in the 3rd part looked great too. It even slightly looks like a ribbon.

Other 4/5:
+0.25: Soul transport was a good idea.... poor soul though.
-0: Remember when I announced that I look at every little detail? Well, in that passage with the 12 little blocks trying to squash Mario/animals, there were two which didn't have the same height.
+0.25: Thunder looks awesome
+0.5: Most of the time only short loading, one time a bit longer and almost no lag at all.

Overall 18.25/20: MAN... er.. GIRL, this was one of the best levels I have played Do more like this!

Limbo by Volcove

Fun 8/10: First, the possiblity to choose a FLUDD was good. But the first level could have been a bit easier... the second level wasn't too easy or too hard and the level ideas were good.

Graphics 3/5: The graphic looked overall pretty average, though part 2 didn't look very interesting and the switch from jungle to lava in the first part could have looked better.

Other 3.5/5:
+0.25: Good idea of letting the player play rooms to all the possible ways of dying in the first level...

+0.25: Average lag, not too long loading in part 1 and no lag or loading time in part 2.

Overall 14.5/20: An average level. You can do better, but I can clearly see how much you tried to reduce your skill to become 5th.

Here's Harmless. His is a little different than his originals due to some changes he made, score rounding and an unfair thing or two (minor stuff) that we chatted about.

"Harmless!": show
MP3 Amplifier

Fun: 7.25/10. Wow, that was a very fun level. I enjoyed jumping throughout the area and getting through the obstacles. As for Part 1, the split pathway was neat, and especially getting the red coins.

However, as I was going down the Animal route, there was this one part with the moving blocks that, as described by the sign, that you will need to exercise your patience to get through it. But I had no patience and still got through it going down the sides, which kinda reduced the challenge for me.

As for Part 2, very well done. The music was best fitting for the boss, a little bit for the throughout level itself, but I probably shouldn't be complaining about that.

Speaking of the boss Normabot, he is fairly easy. All there was trying to stop me was some bullet bills, which also very well helped me going up. I would say a few more blocks and some enemies to spice up the challenge, maybe other gimmicks so.

The third part was really just a small relief of the series, thus not really making you do much. But it was a nice touch, especially the music.

Overall, neatly done. Definitely worthwhile.

Graphics: 4/5. Absolutely (ALMOST) flawless. There were a few places with overlapping frontal tiles, but the space between them actually made a difference (and this coming from a guy who doesn't like putting too much front-tile overlapping, yup). But there was this one area that was in the second part, I think in the beginning, where you had this decor pattern of a mushroom body, twig body, and vine body on top of each other, and it just didn't really fit with the rest of the glorious decoration. Sorry. Also, I'd add that the part where you end (third part) needs some decor.

Other:
- Solid dialogue. I think a few other characters could be in it, but oh well. :3 (+1)
- I think just ripping the souls out of animals is a little less gruesome, but at least it was a good match for the theme. (+0.5)

- ... uhh... what CAN I think of something bad to say about this level? Not really anything. But that it was a LITTLE bit short time-wise. However, to counteract that, the music choice with Lana Del Ray was good. (0)

Total: 4.5/5

Overall, I give this entry a score of... 15.5/20! This is a very solid entry from the usual scores that I've seen in the past LDC threads (yes I study Runouw history, deal with it ). Keep up the great work and MAKE MOAR OF THESE LEVELS.

Nwolf/Karyete

Fun: 4/10. The beginning wasn't really that much, although it did start out interesting with the doors and what was behind them. Proceeding into the Trip to Heaven (or something like that), things got funner (yes, I just used that made up word. U mad? ) with all the platforming and fairly good difficulty.

But, of course, there's one problem. Enemy spam was EVERYWHERE. Except for that last part before the end, which I thought was very well done. Sadly, the score went downhill when the only thing stopping me from reaching the red coins (not the end) was enemies, and a few pitfalls into impending doomness. I guess that one room with all the water blocks was an exception, but that one penguin in that same room blocked a red coin from successfully being reached. It was a bummer, and as a result, I never got to complete the level fully.

As a side note, that Cloud room area with all the bullet bills was more of a tedious time-waster, not really a challenge. I simply stood above the red coin and did an endless spin attack session, which bored me.

Graphics: 3.5/5. Very well done. Some of the areas were excelling in graphics, others not. Especially in the beginning, when Mario was still dead. It wasn't really as decorative (think rocks, dead plants) as the Goddly Garden (which was a nice touch in graphics). However, the coin art was interesting. Nothing else to say, really.

Other:

- There was some interesting creativity with the level, especially with the different rooms and red coi- err, red medals. (+0.5)

- I am, however, VERY shaky on the plotline. While in the first part, before you get the shine, it mentions something about the mushroom kingdom burning. Then we go to a completely new scene with Godd's palace/residential area/haeven being attacked? The plotline is not very consistent, and as a result, it did not bode well for me. (-1.5)

Total: 2/5

Overall, this entry gets a score of...

9.5/20! This needs a bit of editing, but otherwise, it is a neat level to play in spare time.

And, if you're reading this with your little sister, DAAAAAWWWWWW

Ok, enough with the big bro embarrassment. Let's get to my review.

Fun: 6/10. All right, all right. For a MoD level, I expected something a little more interesting- it felt oddly lacking in a lot of areas... But in all honesty, simplicity of the rooms and a few incredibly narrow jumps aside, I still think this deserves quite a bit of score, for it still kept me entertained for hours (although some parts I was hopelessly stuck for 10 minutes because I didn't know where to go, such as the castle area).

Nothing else really to say, but the level with all the other components was still really enjoyable.

Graphics: 4/5. EGUAFGJAWIGMEKEQWYQOTL *head explodes*

Damn you and your amazing graphics/coin work. You make me jelly.

Although there was a few parts where the tiling didn't really seem to complement the other parts that it was attached to. And there was a few edge cut-offs in some of the tileworking. Otherwise, the rest was really quite amazing. Also, I didn't see much decor in the fortress area, not that it needs too much.

Other:

- EGAAAAAHHHH AMAZING AND VERY IN-DEPTH STORYLINE FTW (+2)

- Let see, what incredibly minor detail to pick on MoD's level just to piss him off... *is shot* (-0)

- Actually, there is one thing that is interesting. What DID the books have any relation to the original story? And the only time I really remember Mario with books is in SM64, the Boo world, 3rd star. Unless if it was in a Paper Mario game, which I really only played Super Paper Mario currently. (-0.5)

Total: 4.5/5

Overall, this obvious 1st place entry gets a score of...

14.5/20! Wow, it's your lucky number!

This in mind, I'll do a little bit of recalc and see what happens.

My Most Recent Works: show
I switch my signature a lot. If you wanna see some of my past ones, here you go.
Silent Conversations and a Crow's Final Song!
My latest story, and one of my personal favorites. A girl bound in silence finds the words to say to her prospective girlfriend as they visit her religious father in a dusty town on the edge of Kansas, where the crows' migration south brings forth anchored memories, the path to resolution, and a new start.

Form (25quared)
This might be like nothing you've seen before.
Updated Works! Some of my past best and current stuff: show
Writing Works!
Fanfic: Shut Up and Dance
why do I write so much about dancing you don't dance you've never danced in your entire life
lying little ♥♥♥♥ with your ♥♥♥♥ story ♥♥♥♥ you
also Diddy/Lucina <3

Fanfic: Worth a Thousand Words
Because the world needed a Samus/Dedede story
Fanfic: Ecstatic Silence
Just wanted to write and ♥♥♥♥ like this happens, you'd think I'd know better.
Fanfic: Far From the Edge
It's a dance that's been a long time coming for a brand new man and an unchanging woman, but once one takes the plunge there's no falling back up.
Original: Jealous Ghosts of the Mississippi
The story of Rachel meeting Amber after a lifetime of silence and being shunned
Original: Your Hand in Mine
One of my most personal stories about a dangerous romance. Now to be published in a college lit journal!
-------------------------
Recent LDC Work:
Level Series: Leaves From The Vine (ft Star King)
For the 29th LDC, a theme of grassland taken through the growth of our designing society. Won the 29th LDC!
--
Levels at Large:
Level Topic: Collection of MoD's Levels!
If you've ever wanted to see any level I made worth a damn, go here! From the quiet 14th LDC entrant Finis to the megasmash level series Dark, you can find links here!
"You were always a revolutionary, now there's just less of a chance of you crying in the corner." ~Ridder
MessengerOfDreams

Error contacting Twitter

Winter
2016 Story Contest

Thumbs Up given: 519 times
Thumbs Up received: 707 times

Postby Nwolf » June 18th, 2012, 10:37 am

And the non-serious version of my judging for Kevin (with my sexy format :awe: ): show
KevinOC's entry by himself (joke)

Fun 11/10: AWSOM TIS IZ TE BEST LEFEL I HAZ PLAYD IN LAIK EVAR, I MUST PRAIS YU O ALMAITY GOD KEVINOC *prays*

Graphics 6/5: TE GRAFICS IN TIS LEFEL R SO AWSOM THERS NOT EFEN CUT-OFF *prays*

Other 6/5: +100% of Other score: TIS LEFEL IZ SO AWSOM U NEED EFEN MOAR POINTS *prays more*

Overall 23/20: SEE THIS MP3 HE GOT 23 POINTS BECAUSE HIS LEFEL IZ SO MUCH MOAR AWSOM TAN YOURS >:D IT HAZ SO MUCH FEELING INSAID IT JUST FEEL IT!!!!1!!111!one!!2!!!1!!

Okay, NOW this LDC is over :>

RIP 19th LDC

(c) MoD
Nwolf
Beware, fluffy

My Precious Memory

Thumbs Up given: 48 times
Thumbs Up received: 87 times

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » June 18th, 2012, 10:46 am

Before I go I would just like to say:

OMGWTFBBQIBEATDARKINYOURJUDGINGSNWOLFANDGOTYOURFIRSTEVER18POINTSZOMGITSAMIRACLE

oh my god what the ♥♥♥♥ barbecue i beat dark in your judgings nwolf and got your first ever 18 points zomg its a miracle

Now it's over. :> Someone graveyard this please. (and the 18th and 17th LDCs too and the vaults, since they haven't been graveyarded yet o_O)

Nedit: Can't you graveyard them too? :P Also, you got my first score above 18, not 18 :geek:

MP3 EDIT: Neeeeerrd :ugeek:
"I treat everyone equally, depending on how much I like them." ~Me
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

I made this sig so credits to mee :amp smile:
~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #30: Finale/The Ultimate Battle

Thumbs Up given: 226 times
Thumbs Up received: 611 times

Previous

Return to Graveyard