22nd Level Designer Contest

Locked topics are stored here.

Re: 22nd Level Designer Contest

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » December 23rd, 2012, 2:19 pm

About to ninja Nwolf's results. Mwehehehe

(but seriously, let's be blown away by the completely un-guessable results :3)
"I treat everyone equally, depending on how much I like them." ~Me
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

I made this sig so credits to mee :amp smile:
~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #30: Finale/The Ultimate Battle

Thumbs Up given: 226 times
Thumbs Up received: 611 times

Postby Megar » December 23rd, 2012, 2:20 pm

So damned close... Hurry uuuuuuup
Megar
Follower of Razputin

Error contacting Twitter

Runolympics 2015 Winners

Thumbs Up given: 42 times
Thumbs Up received: 147 times

Postby MessengerOfDreams » December 23rd, 2012, 2:38 pm

I'm about to pull the biggest ♥♥♥♥ move in the history of the site.

1st blackyoshi 16.0625
2nd Volcove 15.875
3rd KABOOM 14.8125
4th Mega 14.1875
5th MP3/Karyete 14.125
5th Star king 14.125 (lol he already has 5th too :3)
6th Darkblaze 13.3125

My Most Recent Works: show
I switch my signature a lot. If you wanna see some of my past ones, here you go.
Silent Conversations and a Crow's Final Song!
My latest story, and one of my personal favorites. A girl bound in silence finds the words to say to her prospective girlfriend as they visit her religious father in a dusty town on the edge of Kansas, where the crows' migration south brings forth anchored memories, the path to resolution, and a new start.

Form (25quared)
This might be like nothing you've seen before.
Updated Works! Some of my past best and current stuff: show
Writing Works!
Fanfic: Shut Up and Dance
why do I write so much about dancing you don't dance you've never danced in your entire life
lying little ♥♥♥♥ with your ♥♥♥♥ story ♥♥♥♥ you
also Diddy/Lucina <3

Fanfic: Worth a Thousand Words
Because the world needed a Samus/Dedede story
Fanfic: Ecstatic Silence
Just wanted to write and ♥♥♥♥ like this happens, you'd think I'd know better.
Fanfic: Far From the Edge
It's a dance that's been a long time coming for a brand new man and an unchanging woman, but once one takes the plunge there's no falling back up.
Original: Jealous Ghosts of the Mississippi
The story of Rachel meeting Amber after a lifetime of silence and being shunned
Original: Your Hand in Mine
One of my most personal stories about a dangerous romance. Now to be published in a college lit journal!
-------------------------
Recent LDC Work:
Level Series: Leaves From The Vine (ft Star King)
For the 29th LDC, a theme of grassland taken through the growth of our designing society. Won the 29th LDC!
--
Levels at Large:
Level Topic: Collection of MoD's Levels!
If you've ever wanted to see any level I made worth a damn, go here! From the quiet 14th LDC entrant Finis to the megasmash level series Dark, you can find links here!
"You were always a revolutionary, now there's just less of a chance of you crying in the corner." ~Ridder
MessengerOfDreams

Error contacting Twitter

Winter
2016 Story Contest

Thumbs Up given: 519 times
Thumbs Up received: 707 times

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » December 23rd, 2012, 2:43 pm

Considering we got so much hate, placing 5th actually was really cool.

Well done Karyete. ^_^
"I treat everyone equally, depending on how much I like them." ~Me
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

I made this sig so credits to mee :amp smile:
~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #30: Finale/The Ultimate Battle

Thumbs Up given: 226 times
Thumbs Up received: 611 times

Postby Megar » December 23rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

the ♥♥♥♥, i got fourth and beat sk and amp in the progress
THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Megar
Follower of Razputin

Error contacting Twitter

Runolympics 2015 Winners

Postby KABOOM » December 23rd, 2012, 2:48 pm

3rd place :omg:
KABOOM
Prophet of Shadowsquid

A Good Start

Thumbs Up given: 44 times
Thumbs Up received: 121 times

Postby Nwolf » December 23rd, 2012, 2:50 pm

Woo spent about 2 hours making that crap/results post and saving about 10-20 minutes now.

Btw, no, you will NOT get the full results from me, you can get them yourself from MP3 or Buff, I doubt they would like to calculate the rest of the averages though.
Thank MoD for that >.>

Still disappointed but now I can say that

(c) MoD
Nwolf
Beware, fluffy

My Precious Memory

Thumbs Up given: 48 times
Thumbs Up received: 87 times

Postby Megar » December 23rd, 2012, 2:51 pm

Um. Have my judgings.
Behold, N, my extremely lackluster judgings that you'll just have to deal with.

blackyoshi - Underwhere: show
Fun: 8.5/10 - I had alot of fun playing this level, and I liked the cycle of going around to get the invisibility star in the first area to rescue to Shadey.
Graphics: 4/5 It looks really nice at parts, but some of it just seems rather odd to me.
Other: 3.5/5
-0.5 Took a bit of time to load.
+1 Well chosen music.
Overall: 16.5/20 => 17/20
For my first level to pop into, this was an exciting start. I'm hoping the rest meet this standard.

Star king – Asphodel Temple: show
Fun: 6.5/10 – Honestly? I didn’t really have much fun playing this. To me, it felt more like a puzzle level rather than a platformer, but it did contain original material and ideas, that’s why it’s a six point-a five.
Graphics: 5/5 - Contrary to the fun, this level is ♥♥♥♥ sexy. The tiles chose and the items that went with it have a perfect contrast and everything went well together. Good work.
Other: 2/5
-1 It loaded quite slow on my computer, and there was mild lag.
Overall: 13.5/20
Not near your best work, Sk. I've seen much better from you *coughdragonvalleycough* and I honestly expected more when coming into this level, but I had my share of fun. I probably disliked it bexause of it's puzzle elements. I don't like puzzle elements.

~MP3 Amplifier~ & Karyete - Volcano of Irony: show
Fun: 7/10 Ice volcano gave me some nice adventurey feels, but then the Fire Volcano gave me rather different feels, and that lowers it to a seven from the original eight-point-five.
Graphics: 4/5 Lovely work here. I liked it, but Fire Volcano missed that one click to spark a five.
Other: 1/5
-1 Not enough fire, I think you misinterpreted "Fire" as "Volcano"
-1 Slow
Overall: 12/20
Um... What happened here? That was strange.

MegaR - Melty Magma Lair: show
Overall: 20/20
I don't even need to give you all the other stats. Best level ever.

KABOOM - Infernal Tower: show
Before I begin, I'll judge it as one level like you asked.
Fun: 9/10 This was beautiful play right here. The difficulty curve was just right and I felt a sense of danger lowering upon me as I got higher up.
Graphics: 3/5 Paid good attention to detail, but there isn't anything much special about it.
Other: 4.5/5
-0.5 Took some time to load
+2 Amazing work on the Nwolf praise. That was awesome.
Overall: 16.5/20
Round of applause to you. I expect a top four from you, sir.

WindMasterArceus - Meteor Ravine: show
Fun: 5.5/10
I honestly felt playing this was a bit of a chore, as it's a rather bland level and it has too slow of a pace for my tastes.
Graphics: 2/5
Ehhh. There was quite a bit of cutoff, and otherwise it's generally bland. The, say, hub area could have used a filling.
Other: 5/5
+2 Woo, quick loading time, no lag. That's what I like to see!
Overall: 12.5/20
A decent level overall, but I've seen better. Better luck next time.

The Great and Powerful KevinOC! - I want to stab myself in the chest with a knife so ♥♥♥♥ hard sometimes (I know that feel, Kev.): show
Fun: 10/10 This series of pure liquidized (or is it SM63ized? who ♥♥♥♥ cares this is kevin) awesome is pure bliss. Also, notice how I keep saying pure. Because these levels are PURELY yours. Amp and DarkBlaze should be disqualified because they stole the Great and Powerful KevinOC's wonderful masterpieces and Kevin deserves a ♥♥♥♥ medal for being Kevin. What? I'm going off-topic? Well ♥♥♥♥ you too. ON TO THE GRAPHICS!
Graphics: 4/5 Beautiful. I almost cried, these graphics are amazing. But why the feck did thy mountain freezeth over? And why is thyself talkething in such manner? Because thy thinks questioneths are wortheth thyself's time. Oh yeah, 4 equals up to... 69. Of course.
Other: 26/5
+23 KevinOC made it
Overall: BLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSS/20
Read "Overall" All hail the mighty (and sexy, he makes me jizz when i hear about his cock. Did you know that his **** is actually NINE inches longer than yours?) KevinOC!

Dtroid - Fireburner Volcano: show
Fun: 4/10
Sorry, this level was... rather boring to me. Like with Meteor Ravine, it seemed too slow paced and was quite bland.
Graphics: 4/5
Oh my god part 3 was beautiful and gets this all it's points
Other: 4/5
+1 Quick load but slight lag.
Eh, It's a decent level but not good enough to suit my tastes. I'm really going back on the lighthearted promise I made, aren't I?

Timi - Bowser's Castle: show
Fun: 8/10
I was going to give this a 6 at first, but then I reached Endgame. The suspense and the way you made the cameras and guard was excruciating and it made me feel like a ♥♥♥♥ ninja beating it at last. Well done to you, sir.
Graphics: 4/5 This looked really nice, man. You perfectly sized the cameras and it looked simply beautiful.
Other: 1/5
-2 Moderate lag and loading time.
Overall: 13/20
I thought I'd give this a higher score in the end but apparently lag doesn't approve. Unfortunately I can't say there isn't any lag. Oh well.

Triple J - The Sweltering Badlands of the Ardent Gem: show
Fun: 7/10
Like a few others, the pace on this just wasn't enough for me. It's really long and that kind of makes up for it, though.
Graphics: 3/5
Average at the most, some of it seemed a bit unappealing.
Other: 3/5
There is very minor lag but not enough for point loss.
I can see the effort put in but it doesn't cut it. Sorry.

1018peter - Ruby Dungeon: show
Fun: 7/10
I really enjoyed this, and saying the red coins were Magma Crimson gems was the best excuse for less than eight red coins ever. EVER.
Graphics : 5/5
...No comment, except for ♥♥♥♥ awesome. Especially the Rubies. THE RUBIES.
+1 Quick load time.
Overall: 16/20
Not much hope? You've done better than you think.

Creeper46 - The Deathly Volcano: show
Fun: 2/10
This level was... meh. I had a bit of fun, but Enemy spam, short and all that.
Graphics: 1/5
It's not very nice, cutoff, misplaced water, and all that. I see you've been using CTRL, so kudos to that.
+2 No lag, or loading time.
Overall: 8/20
For a first level, you've done okay. No one is perfect at first, so keep trying and who knows?

koolkid - The Lost Civilization of the Volcano: show
Fun: 1/10
This was hardly any fun. I found myself just running... and running...
This is not good. There was cutoff, and other things.
+2 No lag, or loading time.
Overall: 7/20
Honestly man, you need to study other levels before making one. I've learned this personally.

Genowhirl910 - Frying Pan Land: show
Fun: 6/10
While an enjoyable level overall, it seemed a bit platform heavy.
Nothing too new or interesting, but no visible cutoff to me.
Other: 3.5
-0.5 You were supposed to praise N, not the other judges :3 (Lel don't worry, -0.5's dont effect your score in my judgings. Just wanted to let you know)
+1 Not much lag, quick loading.
Overall: 12.5/20
An enjoyable level, but not too amazing.

Gabriel Lim - The Ancient Lava Sprite: show
Fun: 5/10
Nothing too new or interesting.
+2 No lag, load time.
Like I said, this level is nothing too new or interesting.

DarkBlaze - Blazewood: show
Fun: 6/10
Nice level, but a bit platform heavy.
Graphics: 4/5
Sexy looking, but it's missing that click.
-1 Not enough fire
+1 Not much loading time
+1 Unique Idea
Overall: 14/20
It's an okay level, but it's not enough.

NingNing63 - The Underground Fire Factory: show
Fun: 4/10
Meeeeeeh. A bit of enemy spam here and there, and too slow paced.
+2 No lag, quick loading time.
You'll have to try harder next time, try to study other levels.

KururuSocho10 - UNNAMED: show
Fun: 3/10
A bit disappointing, it was a rather repetitive jumping over bullies onto safe spots while avoiding the lava and flame towers.
No cutoff or anything, but bland. Too bland.
+2 No lag or loading time
Overall: 9/20
Meh, It's good but not great.

Last but definately not ♥♥♥♥ least, Volcove - Sea of Fire: show
Fun: 8/10
YIPPIE KI YAY BAD LEVELS ♥♥♥♥ YEAH GO YOU VOLCOVE
Graphics: 5/5
SEXI DELICIOUSNESS ENSNARES ME (also, nice placing on the flame towers where the raft falls)
+1 Fair loading time, no lag.
Overall: 17/20
What a coincidence that I legit saved the best for last, huh? For an extremely short time, this is, imo one of your best works, Volcove. Good job.

FINISHING COMMENT: I am disappoint, contestants. Do better next time I judge.
Megar
Follower of Razputin

Error contacting Twitter

Runolympics 2015 Winners

Postby lordpat » December 23rd, 2012, 3:01 pm

le judgings (deal with it Nwolf): show
Blackyoshi's Underwhere:

Fun: The level had nice enganging plattaforming, with intresting gameplay twists. It is not very hard but not very easy. I enjoyed myself playing the level. However, some parts were not very spectacular: the flipping plattaform part towards the end, or the up-down moving plattaforms. It is not they are bad, I just feel that they were kinda bland, specially compared the rest of the level. Also, there is a part where there are small volcano tiles on top of the lava. It is not something huge, but that bully there annoys me a lot. The strongest and at the same time weakest part of the level in my opinion was the fire snake thingy on the bony plattaforms. It is nice, and it is pretty challenging, but it can also get frustrating after a couple of time, specially since you have to get through it twice. I like the fact that the level was non-linear, although I personally believe you could taken more out of this. Still, a very nice detail.
8.75/10

Graphics: Well, it does look like a factory for the most part (the buildings look very nice), and the cave tiles fit really well. The orange wire tiles do not convince me as much tbh, they don't look bad, but they don't look good either, the same goes for the grey walls+lava pillars. The blackbackground gives dark atmosphere to the level, I like that. Decent decor work by the way.
4/5

Other:
+0,5: you took many risks, and it payed off well. The level was fresh and unique.
+0,25: The firetowers trick and plattaforming were ok. They did their puprose at least.
+0,5: no lag or loading time.
-0,5: in the bony plattaform part, right where the blue coin is, you can slip through it, since you squish yourself with the celling and get through the bony plataform. Sadly, since I had to go through that part twice, it happened....twice.
3.75/5.

Overall: 16.5/20
Good job bro. Not your best level, but well designed indeed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arceus' Meteor Ravine:

Fun: Honestly, I did not have lots of fun during this level. Some of the jumps were overly frustraiting (mostly looking at the two parakoopas over the lava section), some parts were lacking arrows, making the level more consfusing (the part were you have to let you fall in the falling logs, right before exiting the cave). And also in reference to this section, there is no warning there was a lava pit. A nasty surprise indeed. As much as I am complaining about the cave section, the truth is that they were my favourite parts of the level. There were some simple yet fun plattaforming sections. And the other thing is, the volcano parts lacked plattaforming. With the exception of the giant block on the lava (I liked that btw), there was nothing in it memorable. Just some bullies. Lag was there, but it did not hurt the gameplay very much.
5/10

Graphics: The cave sections looked fine, although some more decor would not hurt. It seems a touch empty to me. The tiling looks good though, maybe a bit squared, but still good. The volcano sections looked for the most part very empty, and I did not like the tiling a whole lot. Still, just by adding some decor and fixing the tiling you would get a much better result.
2.5/5

Other:
-0,5: Lag, as I said. Even if it did not hurt the gameplay a lot, waiting it to load was annoying.
+0,25: no loading time
2.75/5

Overall: 10.25/20
You did not do very good or very bad, this levels just needs a nice good clean up. You have some nice plattaforming ideas, you should use them more ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mega's Melty Magma Lair:

Fun: the level has simple plattaforming but well designed for the most part. Fire towers are well implemented, and so are thwomps and enemies. Maybe there were too many enemies, seeing how the level lagged. It is not terrible, but it did annoy me. Some enemies, like the big Bully near the silver star that served just for mild annoyance. However, the level had a big flaw: it was very confusing. How was I supposed to know that those places where the fire towers appeared had secret pipes, or that the twisted plants hide a door? Furthermore, it is not even consistent, since some places where the fire towers appeared did not have secret pipes, and the twisted plants right next to the beggining hid no doors. As a silver star chase, it worked. I really liked the dinamic of the level as a whole, it just annoys me how hard are some of the warps to find.
7/10

Graphics: Wow. This level surely looks like the original, I think it looks great too. Not only the tile mixing, but the pipes with fire and such. It looks pretty good. The twisted plants....meh, they look very messy, and don't quite fit in the level.
4.5/5

Other:
-0,25: lag
+0,25: no loading time
+0,5: well designed throwback level
3.5/5

Overall: 15/20
A well designed level, just minor flaws reduced the fun factor. Still, well done.

Kaboom's Infernal Tower:

Fun: Intresting plattaforming to say the least. The fire towers tricks made the levels very easy to remember, since they are used in a very original way. However (and that is a big however), as much as an advantage that is, it also has a weakness: the fire towers tend to move way too fast, making the levels overly frustraiting at parts. The boss is probably the best example: as much as it is supposed that everything gets fast and chaotic, at a point it was almost impossible to dodge the fire towers. In the first level, there were those "vertical" fire towers flows, that made it incredibly hard to get pass. The flow of the level is very good, mostly the tower itself. It is originally made (you go in and out the tower) and it works pretty well. There was one part that annoyed me a lot: after you hit the switch, there is a very long horizontal fire tower, that you need to get in the holes to avoid getting hit. This is fine, but at the end you must jump at a block, and I found that incredibly hard without getting hit by the fire tower. The boss was good, but as I said, it got frustraiting soon enough.
8/10

Graphics: The tower does not look marvelous, but that does not mean it does not work. You got the atmosphere, and even if it does not look too well, it makes its purpose done. The tiling was nothing special, although I did like the vines. The end of the second level is noteworhy, I liked it.
4/5

Other:
+0.25: No lag
-0.5: some loading time, and the level being quite challenging, it bothered me.
+0.5: well applied fire tower tricks, they helped the gameplay move foward.
+0.01: just a very minor detail, but I liked the fact that you used graffity in bookcases, I was like WTF?
3.76 => 3.75/5

Overall: 15.75/20
Very well made level. Some frustraiting moments, and some loading time, but still, a very good work.

Triple J's Badlands, something, whatever:

Fun: Wow, now this ia a long level. The plattaforming worked for the most part, although I think that at some points hitting the switch made us SKIP the plattaforming rather than making it easier. That is a flaw. As a hole though, the level was intresting, with cool yet fairly simple gimmics, I just liked the way it was made. The switch idea, even if at some parts ended up making us skip the plattaforming, was a very good idea to make really bad players (like me) have a better time. And the difficulty varied a LOT. However, it did bother me the "mini-challange" to hit the switch. If you want bad players get an easier level, why are you adding a fairly annoying challange into it. What made it worse is that, everytime you use the checkpoint, you have to do the "mini-challange" again. Some jumps with the huge fire towers did not convince me at all. Good health regeneration. Also, I liked the Big-bully minigame, it was fun, even if you can skip it.
7.5/10

Graphics: the level looked good. I liked how the atmosphere was made, I liked the use of twisted plants, the tiling was good and fitting, and the cactus trees looked well too. What I found a bit wrong is the fact that the decor is not consistent through the level, at some points there was lacking decor, while at others there was a touch too much. The firetowers helped a lot with the graphics (see? they can also be used for this!), and the ending is noteworthy. The level looks good, but not great. It did not make me wow, but it gets its job done, and fairly well. Sadly, some parts did not look as good as others, and some parts did not even look good (the painted wall over the lava...I did not like that).
3.75/5

Other:
+0.5: surprisingly, no lag or loading time (no ofense lol)
-0,25: The thwomp part....if it was used more times in the level, I'd let it pass, but it was used just one...it felt out of nowhere.
+0.5: SWITCH!
3.75/5

Overall: 15/20
Well, long as it is, it works well. Some parts can be easily fixed. Do so and this level will be better!

1808's Ruby Dungeon:

Fun: This level was the more varied I've seen in the contest. Sadly, varied does not necesarly mean better, since some of the parts were intresting and fun to play, but others had important problems that trully damaged the level. The door maze was the best example of this. If you enter a door, it takes you to a door in another room. However, if you take this door you won't return to the other room, but you will go to a completely different random place. This made the maze incredibly random and impossible to know where to go. Some of the doors also take you right next to enemies, this means forced damage. The rest of the level was for the most part fun to play, but there are some noteworthy annoyances: the invisible star makes you bounce in the lava. Since there is a gate on top of the door in the lava, with the insivisible star you will bounce in the lava but you won't be able to open the door. Furthemore, for some reason it sometimes does not work going upwards through a gate with the invisible star, so in some cases I just had to press backspace since I was trapped bouncing and bouncing on the lava. As I said though, some parts of the level did bring me joy (the time challange was hard but enjoyable), it is just others do not.
6/10

Graphics: Now this are nice graphics. Sure, they are different from anything I have seen, but I still like them. I like the use of "rubies", I like the stone pillars. However, the tiling could have been improoved, since it looks a bit odd. Still, not bad at all.
3.5/5

Other:
+0.5: originality in various challanges
+0.5: no lag or loading time
-0.5: forced damage
3.5/5

Well, it was not your best level, but it was not bad either. You have many good ideas, it is just that some of your ideas were not as good, and that ended up lowering your score.

koolkid's lost civilization:
Fun:Not a very strong level gameplaywise. Most of the level consisted on fairly empty rooms with just going from pipe to pipe. The "hole of death" not only lagged, but also was not hard, it was just many enemies put together. Intrestingly though, I find the final boss pretty enjoyable, even if you really don't have to kill him to win. It was a nice detail towards the end. Sadly, that part was not good enough to save the entire level.
4.5/10

Graphics: Ha, I liked them. Nice decor and keeps the atmosphere pretty well. The hole of death looked incredibly empty, but the rest of the level lookd fine. The final boss was also a bit eye appealing.
3/5

Other:
-0.25: lag, but not too much.
-0.5: Half of the signs are disabled. Sad, it seems you trully worked on the story
-0.5: the cheap trick towards the beggining: I can get that you put the pipe under the sign, but putting another one next to it to kill you is just cheap.
1.75/5

Overall: 9.25/20
You could have done better. Some parts of the level were decent, but others simply did not work at all. I'd recommend taking out some enemies, since that does not incrase the difficulty but just incrase the lag. Now, this is probably a good chance to improove, I repeat to you: some parts of the level did work. You need to work on them and you will be right on the way.

Geno's Frying Pan Land (are we making an omelet there?):

Fun: the beggining of the level was a quite well designed. The plattaforming worked, even if some parts required some annoyigly precise plattaforming. The use of Thwomps was very clever, and it just eneded up being an intresting level. However, some parts kinda pull it back. The part with the goomba statues, with NO lava and with lots of fire towers was incredibly frustraiting. The fact that was no lava made that if you fall, you fall in a bottomless pit. And seeing how hard is to control mario while burning, it just made it incredibly annoying. As I said, the precise plattaforming appeared in the level, which wouldn't be so bad if there was not fire towers in them.
6.5/10

Graphics: Strong graphics. Good use of pipes and rocks. Decent tiling for the most part, although there was some lack of decor. Still, you did fine here.
3.25/5

Other:
+0.5: No lag or loading time
+0.5: I still love how thwomps were used.
-0.5: The level ended in a sudden. It felt out of nowhere honestly.
3.5/5

Overall: 13.25/20
An ok level. You have good ideas, but you tend to go sometimes on to too frustraiting plattaforming. Still, you did well.

Volcove's Sea of Fire:

Fun: What an odd level! I think this says "Volcove" all over the place, and I like that. However, there were a couple of things that kinda hurt the level. First of all, there was some lag through the level. It is not that the fps went incredibly low, it was that the lag was persistent and it appeared through the entire level, and in this kind of levels that require timming, it affects it more. My second problem with the level was the ending: what the heck was I supposed to do? was I supposed to take damage from the fire tower? Was I supposed to do bullet bill plattaforming? There was no indication of that, but the fact that there was a blue coin may be that you have to do the first one, and if that is the case, I am not a fan of forced damage. However, all the other aspects from the level worked pretty well. The concept was cool, the enemy placement was very good and the timming was also well calculated.
8.5/10

Graphics: I like the use of stacked lava and lava waterfall, I love the effect it has. The atmosphere of the level is made wonderfully, and the decor was quite good too. The tiling through the level was not expectacular, but it did its job. Overall, well done: although they did not impress me a lot, the graphics were very fitting and did their job well.
4.25/5.

Other:
-0.25: persistent lag
+0.5: the raft concept was very clever
+0.25: the meteors with the enemies on seemed a bit cool
3.5/5

Overall: 16.25/20
Not your best level IMO, but still very well done. Congrats!

KuruScocho 10's Hardest level ever:

Fun: This level does not work at all. The enemies are poorly placed, there are way too many of them, and they just make the level annoying. And a level being hard or annoying does not always mean it is fun. A hard level is fun when it is fair, and this level was not very fair. The greenplattaform at the end of the level...it went to fast and it went too far and it was a pain to wait it to come back. The end of the level is nice though, although I'd recommend putting a transition to separate the outside from the inside.
3/10

Graphics: there was pretty much no decor, some of the tiling was ok, but for the most part, the level looked bad. The stairs near the end have no title below, the castle could have been improoved and, as I said, there was no decoration at all.
1.5/5

Other:
-0.5: enemy spam means lag, and there was plenty of it.
-0.5: the signs feel out of place: the "xD" should be removed, and the warning at the beggining was pretty pointless.
1/5

Overall: 5.5/20
Now, this level was not terrible. You put some effort into it by making the tiling and by putting some ok placed firetowers, it is just that you need to control yourself with the ammount of enemies and the "one-square-jumps", they don't make the level better, they make it laggier and more annoying. I am sure you can do better than this, you have skill, you just need to show it more in your levels. Keep working and you will do it. ;)

Ning's Underground Fire Factory:

Fun: Honestly, the level was not bad in this section. Sure, there was lag or ultra-precise plattaforming and even overly annoying bullet bill plattaforming towards the end of the level (ugh), but some of the plattaforming was good. I liked the flipping plattaform, I like the pendulum, I like the long fire tower with the bony plattaforms, I like the thwomp-thwomp part. However, something that annoyed me was the absurd ammount of fire-towers used, there were too many of them, and in the end, it ends up being boring and annoying. And as I said before, lag (mostly due to enemy abuse) and ultra-precise plattaforming were annoying and the ending was absurdly hard. Also, the sling star part was confusing, but I found it a lot of fun XD
5/10

Graphics: Now this is kinda sad, because I loved the mushroom with the little clouds on it, but that was the only decor during the level. The tiling was kinda messy, and pretty boring too. I am just not a huge fan of floating volcano tiles, since this was a factory you could have added metalic tiles or something like that. But as it is, it does not impress me. It is not horrible, it just could have been done better.
2/5

Other:
+0.5: the way it was designed was pretty clever
-0.5: Honestly it does not look like a factory at all. It looks much more as a volcano. I guess it was supposed to be a mix, I just did not get it.
-0.25: lag, but mostly at the beggining.
-0.25: the pitfal at the beggining...what was the point of that?
2.5/5

Overall:9.5/20
Well, this level was not good, but it was not terrible either. As I said, there were too many enemies during the level, and that generated lag. Some of the log jumping was annoying and the graphics were not what they could have been. In fact, that is what I feel about this level: it was not what it could have been. This could have been a pretty nice level, it is just some flaws pulled it back too much.

Sk's Temple:
[center]Fun: first off, the puzzles were great. They were challenging, intresting, well designed...the problem in this level was the plattaforming. It was not a huge problem, but it did have something that bothered me a lot: those really hard to make jumps. They were SO annoying! Also, the level lagged, but it was not too much for enemy spam but more for graphical tricks and smart puzzles, so I will let it pass by. And the loading time was high, but I did not die, so it was not THAT bad. Now, with all that said, I must repeat: the puzzles were incredibly clever, and the atmosphere was the best I've seen in the contest. They made the level, and I am glad they did. It is fresh and original, and overall just a fun to play level. As I said though, those things did bother me, but the positives overcome the negatives.
8.25/10

Graphics: Holeh ♥♥♥♥. These graphics are amazing. The decor and the tiling as near to flawless. Wow, very good work here bro.
5/5

Other:
+1: I love puzzle levels, and this is one of the very few original and good designed I have seen. Cheers!
+0.5: The atmosphere was so good, it deserves something here.
-1: lag and loading time are both pretty heavy.
3.5/5

Overall: 16.75/20
I liked this level a lot. Sure it is far from flawless, but I love how you make it up. This level is hard to forget, and I don't think you should forget it either. ;)

Dtroid's Fireburner Volcano:

Fun: This level had well designed plattaforming, for the most part. The beggining was the weakest part for two main reasons: 1) getting back to the green plattaform as it goes upwards it is not only hard to figure out, but very hard to time the jump. 2) There is a bug that does not allow you to pass through one single gate block, it crushes you. A strange bug, but makes the level impossible. The rest of the level was nicely done. I like the "darkness", I like the switch part, I like the varied plattaforming. However, I dislike the fire towers with the pipe, it was overly hard to pass through it. The rotating block part (weird, I say something similar in Triple J's) was kinda frustraiting too, but not too much. The level is fun, just some few moments that really get on my nerves.
7.5/10

Graphics: Nice job bro! The level looks pretty good. Nice decor, nice tiling, good "Darkness" effect and the silverstars there, the level looked pretty nice. It did not make me WOW, but it works well. The ending is great btw.
4.25/5

Other:
+0.5: The "part" division was clever, it did not have too much storyline but it works very well.
-0.75: Sigh, yes, that bug I have mentioned before...it bothered me a lot
2.75/5

Overall: 14.5/20
Damn it, you had a really good level on the bad, however 14.5 is not a bad score ya know. That sole bug kinda broke it, but some overly annoying plattaforming did that too. Personally though, I'd not take this score as really how much talent you have shown, because you seriously have talent that I have no ♥♥♥♥ idea where it came from. Nice work!

Creepers' Deathly Volcano/My level:

Fun: I am confused. This level felt too messy. There was no organization, no challange, fludd spam (they kill the challange complely), no indications on what to do, no indiciations on where to go...it just confused me a lot. Aside from that, the level offered nothing...except one thing....there was a sign that said "boom". For some reason, I found that hilarious. Still, that is far from making the level a good level, pretty far.
1.5/10

Graphics: the tiling was ok, and there was some decor...but the object spam made my eye feel very unconfortable.
1.75/5

Other:
-0.5: The name of the level, I guess, is "Deathly Volcano". The correct form is Deadly Volcano. Besides, in the level, the title was "My level"...what?
-1: As I said, this level confused me a lot...
1.5/5

4.75/20
Ouch. As much as a bad level this was, it is not the worst I have seen. Some aspects of the level do work....it is just that everything else makes no sense. Although believe me, my first levels were far worse. You aimed something, even if it failed, it seems you have a clever mind.Maybe you can apply that more in your levels.

Gabriel's Acient Lava Sprite:

Fun: This level was so....strange. Not in the bad way, it is just very different from any other level in the contest. The level was a maze for the most part, and it was not very easy to figure out. However, by taking damage from the lava to go upwards you can pretty much break the level. As for it is, the level is short and not very intresting, I'd would have made it longer. It has too little plattaforming and really few things to do. Also, there were too many metal cap challanges, but none of them was a lot of fun.
5/10

Graphics: the tiling is ok, it is just sad how little decor there is during the level. The level looks plain and empty without decor.
2/5

Other:
+0.5: no lag or loading time
-0.25: the signs were akward, mostly the first one
-0.25: What's with the 1-ups?
3/5

Overall: 10/20
It is not bad, it seems to have potential. It is just the fact that it is too short and that it has to little tiling what bothers me the most. Still, just by fixing that you can make much a better level you would be surprised.

Kevin's suicidal messege:

FUN: PAHAHGFUEHGUEHGIEBESTINEINIGNEIN ♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥
ALSO

0/10

Graphics: RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUN JOEY RUN JOEY RUN! DADDY PLEAS STOP.F.WF WIEJF WOHG WOHGW!!!222@@@@22FONFW8R47658HG. CONGRATULATIONS YOU BEATEN AMAIZING GAME PLAY AIGAN.
0/5

Other:
+10: : hEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWN hEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWNhEY ♥♥♥♥♥ I'M GONNA SLAP YOU DOWN
0/5

Overal: 0/20:
wE ARE SIAMIASE IF YOU PLEASE.

DB's Blazewood:

Fun: Simplistic plattaforming, the way I like it. Still, some of the plattaforming was too precise to my personal taste, but it works good anyway. I like the overall flow of the level. There is not too much to say about it: I just liked the way the level was constructed. Still, some of the timming with the fire towers was quite pointless and honestly I think the bully on the balancing log part was unintresting too. It was not too bad, it is just I believe that at some point the plattaforming does not hold up. Still, you've done well.
8/10

Graphics: Now this is a very good looking level. I like the decor and the tiling...for the most part. The volcano tiling felt a bit out of nowhere in many spots. The rest of the tiling mixing was pretty good though.
4.5/5

Other:
+0.5: No lag or loading time at sight.
3.5/5

Overall: 16/20
Very well designed level. Some minor graphical flaws (minor indeed) and the gameplay did not work all the time, but it was an enjoyable level and a level you have worked on. Well done.

Amp & Kay's Volcano of Irony:

[center] Fun: The levels were very different, and both have their positives and their negatives. First level was very intresting. The plattaforming was well caclulated, although at some points it felt a bit akward. When entring the volcano, everything was just moving and moving, and it was supposed to be an automatic part, too bad I did not know that. I ended up dying due to simple confusion. The rest of the plattaforming through the level worked very well, although that thwomp above the invisible cap was just a cheap trick ya know XD. The second level was a red coin hunt. The sections were well designed and such, but it was so damn confusing. Fire towers coming from fairly random places, weird pipe system, and the arrows did not help the level to make it more clear. The series as a whole was nice to play, but the specific flaws are hard not to look like.
7.5/10

Graphics: First level looked really good, both inside and outside. Mostly outside though. Those clouds looked very nice. The tile mixing worked very well through the factory. The second level looked good, but not as good. The tiling was good, but the floating bridge looked very damn weird. The decor is pretty nice as well. The cave section looks the best.
4/5

Other:
+0.25: no loading time in neither level of the levels, but minor lag in the second.
-0.5: the series was actually more ice realted than fire related, which would not too bad if the theme was ice-fire, but this time the theme was fire, so it does not seem fully right to my eyes.
+0.25: The use of caps in the first level was clever. I like it.
3/5

Overall: 15.5/20
Well, not a bad collab, it just needs to be worked on the levels individually. The first level was overall more enjoyable to play than the second, but both of them had problems that should be fixed. Still, you have a nice collab in hands.

Le comment: Yeah, not the best LDC I have seen, but honestly, I enjoyed many levels and it is good to see new faces. Have a good time peoplez!
Last edited by lordpat on December 23rd, 2012, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks FF for this sig!

Credit to Bam/Bryce for the halloween avatar!
lordpat
The Legacy

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning the category Best Normal Member (Citizen Soldier) in Winter 2012/13.

Thumbs Up given: 43 times
Thumbs Up received: 94 times

Postby CedarBranch » December 23rd, 2012, 3:05 pm

I must be overestimating myself...

I am losing confidence after each LDC. This doesn't seem to be healthy for me...

What in particular is wrong with my level? What makes it average???
Nobody responded to this question at the previous LDC... probably won't see a response here either...
That's not healthy either.
Triple J here!
Credit goes to FrozenFire/l.m
Other Stuff: show
AC:NL Info

Dream Address: 4400-3141-4504
Mayor: Triple J
Town Name: Quattom

My Super Mario Maker levels: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=46621&p=344256#p344256

My Youtube channel, if you could possibly bother: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuP5V8 ... subscriber

Brand-new Bomberman 64: The Second Attack Gameshark Codes!
Now on Dropbox! Active and updated irregularly.
CedarBranch
Impulsive & ambitious

Runouw Votes Winner
Voted "Best Level" with Essence of Time in Runouw Votes New Year 2014/15

Thumbs Up given: 384 times
Thumbs Up received: 108 times

PreviousNext

Return to Graveyard