Regarding SM63 C&D

News about Runouw.com is posted here, including any updates to the forum layout or functionality, staffing changes, and other important things.

Regarding SM63 C&D

Postby Runouw » July 31st, 2013, 8:39 pm

On Monday, I received this PM:
Tom Fulp wrote:Hey we received a massive DMCA from Nintendo citing the games that use their characters / assets. I'm removing all the lower quality stuff and will attempt to keep the good stuff... I'm worried Super Mario 63 is one of the biggest targets due to popularity and it doesn't have the same parody / mashup angle that some other games have... Would you have any interest in replacing the art and name of the game? We could possibly crank out sprites for you... Let me know how far you'd want to go with it to keep it safe from future legal issues!

Super Mario 63 has been removed from Newgrounds as well as Super Mario Sunshine 64 and Keytar Hero. I currently do not have any plans on how to get these back up but I am considering releasing the source code to SM63 and letting you guys do whatever you want with it. SM63 and the level portal will continue to remain on this site until I personally receive a cease and desist. I recommend that you download the .exe while you still can.

I am not saddened by this event, instead I'd rather see it as a chance to move on and keep working on my own intellectual properties. The release of Last Legacy is drawing near and that is my main focus for now.
Runouw
Site Admin

Error contacting Twitter

Thumbs Up given: 3 times
Thumbs Up received: 176 times

Re: Regarding SM63 C&D

Thumbs up x2

Postby MessengerOfDreams » July 31st, 2013, 8:43 pm

Oh ♥♥♥♥.

My Most Recent Works: show
I switch my signature a lot. If you wanna see some of my past ones, here you go.
Silent Conversations and a Crow's Final Song!
My latest story, and one of my personal favorites. A girl bound in silence finds the words to say to her prospective girlfriend as they visit her religious father in a dusty town on the edge of Kansas, where the crows' migration south brings forth anchored memories, the path to resolution, and a new start.

Form (25quared)
This might be like nothing you've seen before.
Updated Works! Some of my past best and current stuff: show
Writing Works!
Fanfic: Shut Up and Dance
why do I write so much about dancing you don't dance you've never danced in your entire life
lying little ♥♥♥♥ with your ♥♥♥♥ story ♥♥♥♥ you
also Diddy/Lucina <3

Fanfic: Worth a Thousand Words
Because the world needed a Samus/Dedede story
Fanfic: Ecstatic Silence
Just wanted to write and ♥♥♥♥ like this happens, you'd think I'd know better.
Fanfic: Far From the Edge
It's a dance that's been a long time coming for a brand new man and an unchanging woman, but once one takes the plunge there's no falling back up.
Original: Jealous Ghosts of the Mississippi
The story of Rachel meeting Amber after a lifetime of silence and being shunned
Original: Your Hand in Mine
One of my most personal stories about a dangerous romance. Now to be published in a college lit journal!
-------------------------
Recent LDC Work:
Level Series: Leaves From The Vine (ft Star King)
For the 29th LDC, a theme of grassland taken through the growth of our designing society. Won the 29th LDC!
--
Levels at Large:
Level Topic: Collection of MoD's Levels!
If you've ever wanted to see any level I made worth a damn, go here! From the quiet 14th LDC entrant Finis to the megasmash level series Dark, you can find links here!
"You were always a revolutionary, now there's just less of a chance of you crying in the corner." ~Ridder
MessengerOfDreams

Error contacting Twitter

Winter
2016 Story Contest

Thumbs Up given: 519 times
Thumbs Up received: 707 times

Thumbs up x3

Postby blue » July 31st, 2013, 8:53 pm

Aw.... :(

Well....

will this happen? Mario sprites turn into the unnamed hero? Toad's turn into sony characters (just kidding)?

This is very serious. Super Mario 63 might be doomed. (Hm...)

:censor:

Many people with hard worked levels, good memeries, crushed. Crushed like a thwomp crushing, an 8-bit heart. I hope this is not a hoax....

(It's august!) Maybe, Last Legacy and Super Mario 63 will have something else in common after you settling the legal issues.

My .exe is stored on my USB key. Is that legal?
blue
As Ninja As Myst

Level Maker

Thumbs Up given: 50 times
Thumbs Up received: 9 times

Postby Raz » July 31st, 2013, 9:39 pm

WOO LAST LEGACY #LASTLEGACY4LYFE

In all honesty as long as people still download the .exe we'll probably be fine
SMBX is still up after all
Karyete, Master of Civil Conversation
Disclaimer: none of these messages have been edited, context can be provided if needed (thanks discord!) but absolutely does not change anything about these messages and that he's too overly defensive and cocky to make situations better

Karyete: I don't have anything to say to you, I've been deliberately trying to not offend you for years, actually, but apparently everything I say to you is wrong. You come across as so aggressive that you successfully intimidated me into not wanting to talk to you
Karyete: Seriously, what is your problem? And not only that, you fail to even acknowledge you might be in some wrong here.
Karyete: Oooh it's you? Hello. Feel free to drop this right now. You're going to make yourself look like an idiot.
Karyete: We don't want to hear your opinion at this stage.
Karyete: You're not getting any apology, especially after now.
Karyete: You can stay up on your high horse, continue to twist the truth and act like an absolute child all you want. I refuse to give respect to a man who right now is picking up a dropped argument because he simply cannot fathom the idea that he might be in the wrong.
Karyete: How pathetic
Raz
"quite easily the most manly man of all" --Raz

Error contacting Twitter

Razzian Fighter

Thumbs Up given: 40 times
Thumbs Up received: 367 times

Postby Megar » August 1st, 2013, 1:27 am

This is either gonna be great for LL or bad for the site as a whole. Oh boy, this isn't going to end well.
Megar
Follower of Razputin

Error contacting Twitter

Runolympics 2015 Winners

Thumbs Up given: 42 times
Thumbs Up received: 147 times

Thumbs up x1

Postby Asterocrat » August 1st, 2013, 1:49 am

First of all that pretty much means the number of new members will suddenly decrease, since Super Mario 63 is pretty much the best source we have for new members. Admitting no one will stay on the forums forever, that means the site may die (probably in a few years but still) if nothing is done. The only things that can be considered copyrighted are all the characters from Super Mario and the name of the game. But are all the level remakes in the game itself copyrighted as well? If so, does that mean the game have to be completely remade? Or can it simply be kept to replacing Mario and the enemies with some other original character?

I hope the site doesn't get ceased, and especially the Portal. We are talking about hours of work here, some levels even being close to an original game or even movies, or pieces of art, and have nothing to do with the Nintendo franchise, except the fact that you have to play with Mario.

Technically we just have to replace Mario with an original character, maybe some enemies as well.
Gift by Forgotten - Full size here!: show

Asterocrat
Former Cosmic Ruler

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner
Best Super Mario 63 Level (Can't fix what isn't broken) with "Neon City" in Runouw Votes Summer 2014!

Thumbs Up given: 267 times
Thumbs Up received: 309 times

Postby Karyete » August 1st, 2013, 2:40 am

...I knew this day would come.
Major credit goes to l.m for this!

Museum of Monsters

Most recent SM63 / LL level: Flickering Forest
Karyete

LL Level Designer Contest Winner
LL LDC #4: Ruins/Temple

Thumbs Up given: 273 times
Thumbs Up received: 148 times

Thumbs up x2

Postby nin10mode » August 1st, 2013, 2:54 am

I uploaded the .exe separately if anyone wants it. I'm assuming this perfectly legal :P If you can't extract it, I can just upload the raw application.

As for the situation, I don't think the site will die so long as Last Legacy is finished and Runouw continues his smaller games inbetween. Plus, there's a chance that Nintendo redacts their position on fangames, like they changed their minds with Youtube and live streaming. There isn't the same "They're advertising my game for me, thanks" attitude, so I kinda doubt that they'll do anything like that this time though.

I don't think they'll go as far as attacking the portal. Has SheezyArt contacted you or is your game still safe there?
Art: show
Anime: show
Imagei use mal now but this sigbar is pretty
Videos: show
ImageImage
im@s: show
nin10mode
Immune to Death

Error contacting Twitter
Error contacting last.fm

Credit To Team

Thumbs Up given: 102 times
Thumbs Up received: 222 times

Thumbs up x3

Postby Suyo » August 1st, 2013, 2:57 am

I think this is ♥♥♥♥. Nintendo has been pulling ♥♥♥♥ like this for the past months now - claiming monetization on YouTube videos, trying to ban Smash Bros. from the EVO tournament, and now this - they are just alienating a huge part of their fanbase, mainly the ones who are not the average playing person. Creative fans, who make videos or games, and competitive players are suffering, and those are the ones who have the biggest effect on the community.
At first I only thought it was lawyers being overprotective and acting independent from the rest of the company, but the longer this goes on, the more I think that this is not what is going on. I have no idea why, but this is what Nintendo wants. I really would like to hear what their reasoning is, because like this, I really don't want to support them anymore.

Suyo
"quite easily the most manly man of all" --Raz

Error contacting Twitter
Error contacting last.fm

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning the RV New Year 2012 Award for Best Moderator. Like you didn't know. XD

Thumbs Up given: 26 times
Thumbs Up received: 359 times

Postby blue » August 1st, 2013, 4:11 am

nin10mode wrote:I uploaded the .exe separately if anyone wants it. I'm assuming this perfectly legal :P If you can't extract it, I can just upload the raw application.

Don't. Everyone downloaded exactly 80 (like me) .RAR or .ZIP

Hmm....

Someone should contact all the people who signed up just for the portal to tell them about this...

75% of all people here are from Super Mario 63! (20% spam-bots, 5% random issue :troll: )
If there was no Mario 63, this site wouldn't exist. Also not the members. Not even the spam-bots.

If super mario 63 disappeared, I wouldn't submit levels. Not even anyone else.

This should be an announcement in the portal too so portal users would know! :P

Don't forget the Yoshi's Island Tiles! (Too lazy to type and quote)
blue
As Ninja As Myst

Level Maker

Thumbs Up given: 50 times
Thumbs Up received: 9 times

Next

Return to News